Sunday, July 24, 2011

Eigo O Hanashimasu Ka - Do you speak English?

Ohayoo Gozaimusu (Good Morning...or if you are in the US I should say Konbanwa, Good Evening),

Yes, that's right, I live in the future.  Or to be exact, in Okinawa Japan as of 31 days ago.  Everyday brings new experiences and insight to a world completely unfamiliar.  My reaction?  Complete and utter amazement.  Imagine this.  Everything you know is gone or different.  You are in another country.  You don't know the language. It took you 3 days to get here.  You traveled with a 13 month old.  You arrive exhausted, tired, hungry.  Did I mention you were traveling with a 13 month old?  Okay, just checking.
BUT, you have journeyed to an AMAZING place.  The people are kind.  They are simple.  The island is beautiful, the water is crystal clear, the fish are neon colors, and the food is...well...let's just say I have gained 5lbs (despite running 4 to 5 miles up and down hills every morning).

So what I traded in my $32,000, 2010 GMC Acadia for a beat up $2000, 2001 Daihatsu yrv (still trying to learn how to spell it).  I left my 1600 square foot home for a 800 square foot quadplex made out of concrete with a metal door.  I love my new home.  I love my new car.  I love my new country.
My Car.

My home.
I will share with you my journey.  We are a month behind.  You have missed so much already.  Life is great and I am going to tell you about it.  I will teach you how to make sushi, I will show you beauty, we will learn together.  And, when you want to come visit.  Call me.  My number is 08035143218.  Yep, 11 digits.


P.S. A little history: Where did beautifully strong come from?  This past year I learned that I am stronger than I ever knew possible.  Following the birth of my son, in which he nearly died and we had a very rough recovery, I found beauty in my strength.  I have found strength in family.  Strength in friends.  Strong is beautiful.  People are beautiful.  Their stories are beautiful.  I am Beautifully Strong.

3 comments:

  1. I am so impressed! This is great! I noticed you are using Blogger. I have signed up to be your first follower. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS A WONDERFUL THING.
    It will be great to follow what is happening in your life in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devin, I am "anonymous" because I didn't know what to hit.

    ReplyDelete