Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Just the two of us...

After spending the last two days inside because of the rain, Landen and I decided to venture out.  We went to Araha Beach, which is a favorite of ours because (a) it is 5 minutes from our house, (b) there are jelly fish nets to keep them out of the swim area, and (c) it's a sure way to mingle with some locals.  So we headed out, just the two of us. 
I initially feel out of place.  Not because I am the only America, but because I am the only female in a swimsuit.  Japanese women like to cover themselves from the sun.  From head to toe.  Even if it is 100 degree's out.  Even if they are at the beach.  I have been told this is for prestigious reasons.  All I know is this: a tan makes you look thinner.  I would rather look poor and skinny than wealthy and fat.  Just saying.
So they can wear pants, long sleeve shirts, and gloves.  They can cover their faces with scarves. They can carry umbrellas.  I am going to sport my Victoria Secret bikini. 

Landen had a great time playing in the water with his new toys that we bought at ToysRUs.  Yes, they have one here (actually they have two).  And as predicted we met several local children to play with and one very drunk woman who just couldn't get enough of my blondie.

When it was time for lunch the most amazing aroma filled the air.  The Japanese don't eat sandwiches for lunch.  They eat Japanese foods.  Duh.  I don't know why this shocked me, but they dug out their chopsticks and plates of chicken teryaki and fried rice.  I smelled their yummy goodness and wished I didn't have a smashed peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a bruised apple.

This beach also has things to rent such as jet ski's and boats.  Behind the rentals you can see the mall (not what your thinking) and the ferris wheel where American Villiage is (also not what your thinking).  I will share those at another time.

And of course everywhere in Japan are tons of signs that I can't read.  This one could say 50000000 yen fine for wearing a bikini for all I know.

5 comments:

  1. What a fun day you had. I wish someone could have been taking a picture of you with Landen. You are a born writer... MEME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea!!! I feel that we are all there with you guys!!! <3 that little Landen too - ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the world through your eyes! I will message you and give you more details. We have a nephew and his wife, 3 children...who live there. They are back in the states now getting the twin girls ready to start to collage in the Fall. His name is Steve Parker. You may see him on my FB.
    Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We sure do miss you guys. Wish we could have gone too.
    We would have had so much fun. Like I always say though
    God does everything for a reason. Keep up the writing
    It's fun to read about your adventures. Give blondie a kiss from
    the Sallees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! The pictures are great! You better keep up with this when you find that job though ;0) Miss you Drakes!

    ReplyDelete