Saturday, September 10, 2011

Weight loss and running tips





*General disclaimer:  I am not a licensed medical professional, nutritionist, wellness coach, or any other form of professional weight loss guru.  I don't even play one on TV.  The following blog is insight from personal experience and generalized public knowledge that can easily be obtained through my best friend, Google.  



I have thought of writing a blog on weight loss and running for some time now.  I can't tell you the number of personal messages I have received from friends, seeking my advice.  I decided not to write the blog last month, figuring I had already talked to everyone personally who was interested....but then....I got another influx of messages.  So here we go...

Background:
Why do people ask me for weight loss tips?  Well, for those of you who haven't followed every second of my existence (whats wrong with you, geez?) I grew to the size of a baby elephant during my pregnancy.  Well, that may be a slight exaggeration...I'm not sure the exact size of a baby elephant and no, I am not going to go look it up.  Anyway, here I am on Landen's due date in all 229 pounds of my glory.


Now, for all you who told me I was "so cute" and "all belly", I have one word to say to you: LIARS!!  But, thanks for trying to make me feel better when I had thighs the size of my husbands stomach.  So...91 pounds later I am purchasing my SECOND pair of size 4 shorts.  This in itself is a miracle because (a) I have not worn a size 4 since I was ten years old, and (b) I was wearing shorts again!  The day before this picture was taken I had a uncontrollable breakdown in the dressing room of the Motherhood Maternity Store as I was unsuccessfully searching for a pair of shorts or capris to wear in the hot southern weather.  Sadly, nothing would fit my enormous body.  

How to loose the weight:
This part is not rocket science people.  I hear friends all the time doing crazy diets.  Not eating carbs, only eating one meal a day, drinking nothing but soup.  STOP IT!  It's basic math - you don't even need to have a background in finance to calculate.  

Step 1: Find out how many calories your body needs to maintain its CURRENT weight.  Go to this calorie calculator and it will do all the work for you.

Step 2: In order to loose 1 pound you need to get rid of 3,500 calories.  To loose 1 pound per week you need a deficit of 500 calories a day.  You can either consume 500 less calories, or you can consume 250 less calories and work out to burn 250 calories.

Example: Pretend you need 2,000 calories to maintain your weight.  You want to loose weight.  You need to    consumer 1,500 calories a day....or you can consume 1,750 calories a day as long as you work out and burn 250 calories.

Doing this will allow you to loose 1 pound per week.  To loose 2 pounds per week you need a deficit of 1,000 calories a day instead of 500.  Please don't try to loose more than 2 pounds per week.  The weight won't stay off and if you loose weight too fast your skin won't bounce back as fast....so you will have saggy, droopy skin and possibly stretch marks.

That's it!  It is not complicated.  In fact this methodology is out there for you to research.  It is the right way to loose weight and it is easy.  You have to remember that calories count.  Note: Fruits and vegetables are not calorie free.  They are better calories for you because they have nutrients and are low in fat, but you still have to count them.  Just because you work out does not mean you can eat what you want.  In fact, you are better off watching what you eat and not working out.  Studies have proven that what you consume is the key to loosing weight, not how many hours you kill yourself at the gym.  I lost my weight working out ONE DAY a week.  Full time grad student, plus full time new mom, plus working forty hours a week meant that I did not have a lot of time for exercise.  My job was sedentary.  I was not blasting calories like someone working in a daycare.  I was a counselor.  Meaning I sat.  All day.

A Typical Day:
Next, people are always asking me what I eat.  I am fairly planned so this is easy for me to do.  This is MY diet though.  Just because I eat this, does not mean you have to.  Remember it's the calories that count.  So eat what is enjoyable to you.

Breakfast- 400 calories
  • 1 cup of Kashi Go Lean cereal with 1 tablespoon of dried cranberry's and skim milk
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup of coffee sweetened with splenda
Lunch- 400 calories
  • Turkey sandwich with Olive Oil Mayo
  • Sliced Apple
  • Box of raisins
Snack- 200 calories
  • Yogurt (any brand that has under 100 calories)
  • grapes
Dinner- 500 to 600 calories
  • Dinner is always different.  I make what I want and just watch the portion size.
* On a daily basis I  stay away from drinks with calories and drink a ton of water and crystal light.  I would rather eat my calories than drink them.

Personal Tips:
  1. Don't eat after dinner.  Brush your teeth and use strong mouth wash.
  2. If you are hungry drink water and chew gum.
  3. I weigh myself right after dinner.  I know that is backwards, but once I see my weight I won't eat again.  Either my weight is good and I want to keep it low or my weight is high and I don't want to make it higher.
  4. My favorite snack is cereal, Yogurt Cheerios to be exact.  Low calorie, whole grain, and you get to eat a bunch.  Much better for you than crackers or chips.
  5. Have some motivation.  My friend Katrina once said to me "Nothing taste's as good as skinny feels."  The quote stuck.
Running:
For those of you who want to start running or are trying to run farther here is my advice.  This is what works for me, you have to find what will work for you. 

  • Focus on distance first, then speed.  If you are trying to run a 5k and you can't make it, slow down. 
  • Interval training is good for increasing speed and distance.  Run really fast for a minute and then slow down to a jog or walk for a minute.  Do this for several miles. 
  • If you are running with a jogging stroller, spend some money and invest in a good one.  It is the single best piece of equipment you will buy.  I have a Bob.  It is amazing.  I am sure there are other good brands out there too.  
  • A GPS watch is also a necessity if you are going to be a serious runner.  You will run farther and improve your run time if you can vary your route.  A GPS watch will track your distance wherever you go.  I have a Garmin Forerunner 205. Love it.   
  • Try to run four to five days a week.  One day a week you should have a long run, where you run longer than normal.  This will help build your stamina.
  • Find hills.  Nothing is better for building your run time and distance than a good hill.  Plus you blast extra calories.  
  • If you plan on running with a jogging stroller, run with it as often as possible.  Meaning when you run with the husband do not let him take over.  Running with a stroller zaps a ton of calories, plus it is an excellent way to build strength for longer runs.
  • Make sure to hydrate. Carry water on your runs.
  • Most experts agree it is best to run in the morning if you can because your body has more energy than it does at the end of the day.  I know this is different for everyone.  I have friends who swear they run better at night.  If you can run in the morning, do.
  • There has also been studies to prove that a cup of coffee before your run will give you the boost to run farther and faster.  Just make sure you drink water too.
  • Wear good workout gear.  Cheap shoes won't cut it.  A good pair of running shoes costs around $80.  You should have at least 2 pairs and you should rotate them daily.  I have 4 pairs that I rotate.  Shoes will last you about 300-500 miles each.  This includes walking, so try not to use your running shoes for anything else.  You don't want the added miles on your expensive shoes.  
  • Also make sure to stretch good.  Not stretching well and running in inadequate shoes will cause injuries.  




3 comments:

  1. You sound so professional...
    I certainly admire you, and you look great.
    MEME

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, Devin! I'm so proud of you! And I'm also convinced I do NOT have what it takes to ever be a serious runner/healthy person. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This helped me out A LOT!! Thank you for posting this! :)

    ReplyDelete