Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sometimes you will look stupid...

For those of you who are not all that familiar with the military life, there are things I need to clarify.  For one, we do not get free housing.  We pay to rent our house.  We pay the government $2,405.77 per month to rent our crappy little quad-plex that is less than 1000 square feet.  Number 2, our medical and dental is not free.  We pay premiums, and many expenses are not covered.  Many, many expenses.  And number 3 (there are more but I won't continue as this is not what this blog is about), the PX and Commissary (grocery store) are not all that cheap.  The PX is filled with high priced brand names such as Coach, Ralph Lauren, and Kitchen Aid.  The commissary is hit or miss.  In the states, it's usually a better deal.  Overseas it's highway robbery.  For example, the other day I went to the grocery and paid $3.88 per pound for apples and $2.77 per pound for bananas.  So, I decided to start produce shopping out in town.

Now, I have been to the market in town before to purchase small items.  One or two things, here and there, basically just exploring and trying new things.  I have never bought more than a couple items at one time.  But, today I bought a whole cart full.  I should clarify that a cart is not exactly what you are thinking.  Most Japanese women shop daily for fresh meats and produce, so the carts are really small.

Japanese shopping cart
I spent 2166 yen and left with a bunch of wonderful produce and other items.  I got drinks, apples, carrots, egg plant, bananas, plums, potatoes, garlic, sushi, salmon, and a few other things that I have no idea what they are called.


Guy's favorite drink here is called Aquarius.  I continue to try new drinks, but he just buys the same drink every time.  He claims it tastes like Gatorade.  This drink is only 147 yen at the market!  Super good deal. 


They have an entire section of fresh fish.  Some of it is marinated.  Here are some marinated salmon patties I got for 67 yen a piece.  I am going to broil it for dinner to tonight.

Fresh fish - pretty sure it's salmon.  I couldn't read the sign.
I also bought what I think is Gyoza, little dumplings filled with meat and cabbage that you fry up.  Once again, I couldn't read the sign so I am not positive.  I guess we will find out at dinner tonight.

What shopping trip wouldn't be complete without sushi?  Sushi is super cheap at the market.  You can get rolls for under $1.  The selection is amazing.  Makes me wonder why people are buying sushi at the commissary for $6 a roll?  This was our lunch today...

The produce was so hard to choose from.  The selection at the commissary is very small and picked over.  Everything at the market was fresh and beautiful.  There were two items I decided to try out.  I had no idea what they were.  One looked like a weird apple and the other a hairless kiwi.  The weird apple turned out to be a cross between a pear and an apple.  The hairless kiwi was in fact a kiwi, just a little sour.


After selecting my items.  I got in line.  The cashier smiles and talks in a bunch of Japanese.  Probably saying something like "hi, how are you?"  I smile with a look of ignorance.  She rings up my items, I pay.  What happens at this point is the cashier puts your items back in your cart.  You go to a bar area at the front of the store and bag your own groceries.  There are no bagers.  I know this, remember I have shopped here before.  She points at something below her register and asks me something...I have no clue what.  I just say no thank you and continue with my clueless smile.  I thank her, "Arigato"...take my cart and go to the bagging area.  It is here that I realize what just happened.  Everyone brings their own bags to the grocery.  You put your stuff in your own bag.  I didn't have one.  I didn't realize this because I have only bought one or two items in the past.  The cashier was pointing at bags under register, and asking if I wanted one.  Ugh.

I go back to her... "Sumimasen" I say (excuse me).  Then I point like an idiot to underneath her register.  Trying to show her I needed one of those bags she was pointing at.  She gestures for me to hold on.  I watch her ring up other people.  She has a line.  I realize suddenly, I am going to have to pay for this bag.  So...I get back in line...behind this older man that looks at me like I am a stupid American.  I am pretty sure he is one of those protesters that stand at the gate (believe it or not not everyone wants us here and protests are frequent).  I am mentally thanking myself for learning the word for I'm sorry (gomennasai) two days ago.  I buy my bag - 3 yen.  Stuff everything in it and leave as fast as I can.  Next time I will be prepared, but I am sure there are many other times I will look stupid.

6 comments:

  1. I think you are very smart. Use your instints. They seem to be working well. MEME

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha oh man #1 your definitely not stupid because you know more japanese than I would have known #2 I do not even know how to broil fish.... :) can't wait to read more!!!!!

    Hols

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so brave and not stupid! I'd be begging my mom to mail me food. I hope you have a wonderful time and lots of adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asain Pear! and I have heard crazy things about fruit prices over there and also not everyone is thrilled with white people (hakujins) and they REALLY aren't fans of half Japanese and American (Hapa). So consider yourself lucky :) In Korea town and China town, I would just follow the old asian ladies around and buy what they bought because I couldn't read the labels but I think it would be a little more risky for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I would have done the same thing. Hey at least
    you were smart enough not to get robbed any more from
    the commissary. Finding a great deal always makes you
    feel smart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot BELIEVE how much your rent is!!!!! Holy cow!!!! THat is like...way way way more than our mortgage. Yikes. OK, now you need to tell us how much all that stuff you got today costs in dollars...I have no idea what 67 yen means!! :) It is so interesting/sad how expensive produce is...but then sushi is dirt cheap. Who knew?!

    ReplyDelete